Why Choose Double Sided PCBs for Medical Device Applications?
The medical industry is growing in at a fast pace thanks to medical devices and technologies. These devices and technologies require Printed Circuit Boards (PCB’s) comprising complex designs, robust construction, and immense power. When medical companies contact PCB manufacturers with such requirements, the PCB providers usually suggest double sided printed circuit boards for medical device applications. What makes this PCB type an ideal solution for medical devices? Read on to know more.
What makes the Design of Double Sided PCB’s Different from Other Circuit Boards
As the name suggests, double sided PCB’s consist of dielectric layers with two copper circuit layers on either side. The copper layers are further protected by solder-mask layers. This design helps PCB designers to improve the PCB layout in many ways, including:
- Both the top and bottom layers can be used to route traces using vias.
- The traces can be closer together and greater in number.
- The edges of the circuit board can be plated to improve ground and shielding connections.
- Copper thickness above 140 um, and up to 3.2 mm can be utilized in the PCB construction.
Types of Double Sided PCB’s
Apart from these points, PCB manufacturers can also create different types of PCB’s using double sided circuits. These types can include:
- Solder coated PCB’s
- Fine line surface mount PCB’s
- Ultra high copper build PCB’s
- High and low temperature PCB’s
Understanding the Various Benefits of Double Sided PCB’s
The design solutions provide a variety of benefits to PCB manufacturers as well as customers.
- Relatively lower costs
- Greater circuit density
- Intermediate circuit complexity
- More flexibility in terms of design
- Reduced board size (which lowers costs)
These various points validate the use of double sided PCB’s for medical applications. This type of PCB can support the operations of medical devices such as like handheld blood testers, chest wall oscillation systems, and deep brain stimulation systems.
PCB Prototype Panel
Best for quick turn prototype builds. Cost based on 1 panel. Build quantity based on total yield from the panel. Quote and order your PCBs online.ORDER NOW
PCB Co-op Panel
Perfect for small quantities with flexible deadlines . Cost based on board area. Order in multiples of 3 pieces. Quote and order your PCBs online.ORDER NOW
Custom PCB Quote
Whatever your requirement, send us your specs and we will send you a custom quote. Quote and order your PCBs online.ORDER NOW